Preventing your soap scale from shutting off automatically will save you lots of time, frustration and even money!
When you are in the middle of measuring your soap making ingredients, the last thing you need is your scale shutting off mid-pour. Nobody wants to start all over! It’s even worse if you are adding several ingredients in one large pot using the tare function. There is literally NO WAY to start over with that!
When I purchased a new scale, that is exactly what happened to me.
I was weighing all my oils into one big pot using the tare function and ZAP! The scale shut off while I was pouring my olive oil into my coconut, castor and other liquid oils. The trouble-shooting fiasco began. I looked over the scale, read the instruction manual twice and even contacted customer support. Ultimately, they authorized a return.
Fortunately, I found Northwest Sourdough on YouTube that explained how to easily reprogram the scale to stay on until manually turned off. (Linked below) I was thrilled that I didn’t have to return my scale. Except for it shutting off after a few minutes, I loved it!
If you have a scale like mine, the My Weigh KD-8000, then you really need to know how to program it correctly so this does not happen to you!
Here are the step-by-step instructions to program your My Weigh KD-8000:
- Make sure your scale is plugged into an outlet, or you have correctly installed the batteries.
- With your scale TURNED OFF, press and hold the “HOLD” button. (This part is missing from the instructions and it won’t work if you start with your scale turned on.)
- While holding the “HOLD” button down, press the “START” button and hold until your scale turns on and you see the letters “nb” followed by a 0, 1 or 2.
- “nb” is a setting that sets weight response or, more specifically, how fast your scale measures what it is weighing. “nb0” is the slowest, “nb2” is the fastest and “nb1” in the middle of the road.
- You can scroll through these options by pressing the “MODE” button. To select the one you want, press “TARE.”
- Next, the OFF menu will come up. The “OFF 1” sets your scale to shut off after 2 minutes. “OFF 2” sets your scale to automatically shut off after 5 minutes. Your “OFF 0” programs your scale to stay on continually until you manually shut it off with the power button. “OFF 0” is the one you want!
- Scroll through your options using the “MODE” button, until you find “Off 0.” While your scale shows “OFF 0” press the “TARE” button to set it.
- Finally, test it before you start weighing soap ingredients to make sure it will stay on for longer than 5 minutes.
Sometimes manufacturer instructions are not clear or thorough enough to get the job done.
Sometimes support can’t even figure it out, like what happened to me! Hopefully this will save you some frustration with a scale you will love. The My Weigh KD-8000 perfect for bigger batches, and it’s nice to have a unit that simply plugs in so you never have to worry about your batteries dying when it’s totally inconvenient!
My Weigh KD-8000 manual: http://myweigh.com/resources/manuals/kd8000.pdf
A special thanks and shout out to Teresa from Northwest Sourdough for helping to clear things up! Here is a link to her video that saved me some pain. 🙂 Start the video at the 9 minute mark if you want to skip ahead to the directions I covered above.
Thank you so much for the directions how to turn off auto off. I was looking for any advice online, but nothing worked, which was bizarre. You showed a different way that worked on my KD-8000 scale. Yay! Thank you!
You are welcome, Lucie! I’m so glad it was helpful. 🙂